PK-village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PK-village: The only one!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Very Nice So Far

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SparKzz
SparKzz

Very Nice So Far Empty
PostSubject: Very Nice So Far   Very Nice So Far EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 10:32 am

There are still some things that you could work on like making it easier to find how to change you avatar,,
For now, Thats all from me

You guys have any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Patric20878
Watcher
Watcher

Very Nice So Far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Very Nice So Far   Very Nice So Far EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:37 am

I feel nostalgic now about my own forums all those years ago, so here's all the suggestions I can think of so far.

Consider this a to-do list, Justas, or rather, PK411.

As PM'd to you:
Join an ad network and get some traffic to your site. That's the main way to get visitors, besides having more content on your site. Post a lot, and don't post a lot of pointless spam.

Major reason why SGW, my clan site about Halo Trial modding, never had thousands of people, is because of it's obsure name. Shotgun Warriorz. No one searches for SGW. On the other hand, HaloTrialMods.org, people search halo trial mods all the time. Like guaranteed result. Name your forum something that people search for very commonly. But because I had very good rules and activity overall, activity on SGW and HTM was roughly the same, despite HTM having 10x + the members. And refer to below.

As for keeping traffic, have very good rules. Nothing turns off anyone with a sense of order than corrupt staff or rules that took about as much effort to write as the maximum capability of that of a 3 year old. And nothing degrades your forum as much as children who believe that they don't have to follow rules, since they now aren't interacting with their parents, so they troll. Don't ever make exceptions for people who break rules, unless there's an extremely good reason for it. Being friends doesn't count.

And another way, make a rule that requires members to noparse or put links in code tags. Search engine "spiders" will navigate around your page using links, and any links that link out your site pretty much equals that the spider won't be in your site anymore. The more time it's navigating around your site, the higher up your site in search results will be.

If you really want to have a high percentage of people here actually stay here when they join, do some of these things. Make introducing yourself mandatory before you have any posting privileges. That partially reduces leechers, those who just come on, take some of your stuff (In my forums, it was mods and tutorials), and then leave. And have lots of updates on activities.

SGW at its high point had sigs of the week and month. It also had mods released very often, and lots of tutorials. We had a whole database of mods and related things. Even if the forums aren't active, at least make it appear to be. The hardest part about starting a forum is getting members to stay, not join. So post a lot, people, because most members who don't know anyone in this forum will leave upon not getting replies to their topics within a day or two.

You said you had good graphics. Not bad for a new forum. The buttons on the top (index, register, calendar, search, etc) with it's gold text and background, looks like buttons in a video game like MechAssault. Sort of looks a bit cheesy, in my opinion. But that might have to do with the fact that I'm 18, so interests are different. But at least change the buttons so there's more contrast. It's hard to read bright yellow text against a bright background.

I've always been partial to forums with darker backgrounds and brighter theme. In your case, it's a gray background with a yellow theme. SGW was black/bright green. HTM was silver/white. I like the skin so far.

I see that you get points for posting. Do you have a shop open yet? If not, get one and add lots of stuff to it. Silly stuff works too. Such as the time when SGW had random cyber gifts that members could gift to each other when it was Christmas. On the more serious side, links to music, software, tutorials, access to beta projects, ability to change your username, all works for items in a store.

If you haven't already, give more points for long posts, and less points for short posts. And no points for posts in a subforum designed for Spam.

Have a good warning system. Don't be too lenient, as while that may raise popularity for staff, it drops respect. Don't be too strict either, or people leave. And by the way, my dead forums are still up. You could model your rules and warning system off it if you want.

Have a wide array of forums. Some people love being geeks, and so they love technical forums that talk about detailed stuff like computers, etc. Others like more serious discussion, so have a debate forum. Always have a Spam forum, where people post all their meaningless posts in there, instead of all over the forums. And general talk, as always, to talk about stuff.

If you want to run a very successful forum, you as administrator will have to give up some of your rights and pleasures. IE: Don't act like a regular member and post 99% of your posts in Spam. You'll have to focus on earning respect first before popularity. Business before relationships apply for handling mischievous children who like to spam for fun. Although some people might not like you telling them to not spam, it is your forum. You run the forum, not them. Once they respect you, any tension between you and them in the future won't be as hard to deal with. And trust me, you will get people like that who enjoy being rude, it's part of every forum. Lots of it is common sense really. People follow their leaders by example. You are administrator. Therefore, you are the leader.

Make an animation somewhere in your header. SGW had a cute animation imo, with random headlines like, "{SGW}, Ruler of the World." that would scroll horizontally across the header part of the forums. hohoho

Easy links to important things like rules and faqs. You want to make sure that people actually read what you write, like rules, And the best way, is to make it mandatory. Such as posting an introduction for yourself. So many people join and don't introduce themselves, for whatever reason. HTM for example, it had 7000 people, and probably only a few hundred active members, which is a small percentage. And that's only normal for a forum. It's just that you can alleviate that a bit.

Have a theme for your site. Something memorable for members to remember it by. SGW was all about modding Halo Trial, and being the sister site of HTM, rose as the greatest and largest Halo Trial modding site that there ever was. But unfortunately, all things come to an end, whether by likable or unlikable conditions. SGW and HTM was the latter. >.>

People like to be recognized. Grant requests for people to lead their own subforums, if you believe they are fit. For example, if a person is a great member here, is a good example to other members, and love and is great at Halo, invite them to lead the Halo forums. Members will love you for that. SGW, being a modding site, I would publicly thank members for being great members and modders, and would sometimes offer them to lead their own subforums or an existing one, and generally as a result, make them appreciated for spending their time at the forums. But don't flatter. Be honest about it.

Hold competitions and tournaments for stuff. Like, being the best racer on PR2, reward them some bonus points. Get creative, and don't let members feel that being on a forum is routine and boring.

That's all I can think of for now. I might add on to this list for specific parts of this forum that I haven't explored yet.
Back to top Go down
jkl
jkl

Very Nice So Far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Very Nice So Far   Very Nice So Far EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:41 am

Patric20878 wrote:
I feel nostalgic now about my own forums all those years ago, so here's all the suggestions I can think of so far.

As PM'd to you:
Join an ad network and get some traffic to your site. That's the main way to get visitors, besides having more content on your site. Post a lot, and don't post a lot of pointless spam.

Major reason why SGW, my clan site about Halo Trial modding, never had thousands of people, is because of it's obsure name. Shotgun Warriorz. No one searches for SGW. On the other hand, HaloTrialMods.org, people search halo trial mods all the time. Like guaranteed result. Name your forum something that people search for very commonly. But because I had very good rules and activity overall, activity on SGW and HTM was roughly the same, despite HTM having 10x + the members. And refer to below.

As for keeping traffic, have very good rules. Nothing turns off anyone with a sense of order than corrupt staff or rules that took about as much effort to write as the maximum capability of that of a 3 year old. And nothing degrades your forum as much as children who believe that they don't have to follow rules, since they now aren't interacting with their parents, so they troll. Don't ever make exceptions for people who break rules, unless there's an extremely good reason for it. Being friends doesn't count.

And another way, make a rule that requires members to noparse or put links in code tags. Search engine "spiders" will navigate around your page using links, and any links that link out your site pretty much equals that the spider won't be in your site anymore. The more time it's navigating around your site, the higher up your site in search results will be.

If you really want to have a high percentage of people here actually stay here when they join, do some of these things. Make introducing yourself mandatory before you have any posting privileges. That partially reduces leechers, those who just come on, take some of your stuff (In my forums, it was mods and tutorials), and then leave. And have lots of updates on activities.

SGW at its high point had sigs of the week and month. It also had mods released very often, and lots of tutorials. We had a whole database of mods and related things. Even if the forums aren't active, at least make it appear to be. The hardest part about starting a forum is getting members to stay, not join. So post a lot, people, because most members who don't know anyone in this forum will leave upon not getting replies to their topics within a day or two.

You said you had good graphics. Not bad for a new forum. The buttons on the top (index, register, calendar, search, etc) with it's gold text and background, looks like buttons in a video game like MechAssault. Sort of looks a bit cheesy, in my opinion. But that might have to do with the fact that I'm 18, so interests are different. But at least change the buttons so there's more contrast. It's hard to read bright yellow text against a bright background.

I've always been partial to forums with darker backgrounds and brighter theme. In your case, it's a gray background with a yellow theme. SGW was black/bright green. HTM was silver/white. I like the skin so far.

I see that you get points for posting. Do you have a shop open yet? If not, get one and add lots of stuff to it. Silly stuff works too. Such as the time when SGW had random cyber gifts that members could gift to each other when it was Christmas. On the more serious side, links to music, software, tutorials, access to beta projects, ability to change your username, all works for items in a store.

If you haven't already, give more points for long posts, and less points for short posts. And no points for posts in a subforum designed for Spam.

Have a good warning system. Don't be too lenient, as while that may raise popularity for staff, it drops respect. Don't be too strict either, or people leave. And by the way, my dead forums are still up. You could model your rules and warning system off it if you want.

Have a wide array of forums. Some people love being geeks, and so they love technical forums that talk about detailed stuff like computers, etc. Others like more serious discussion, so have a debate forum. Always have a Spam forum, where people post all their meaningless posts in there, instead of all over the forums. And general talk, as always, to talk about stuff.

If you want to run a very successful forum, you as administrator will have to give up some of your rights and pleasures. IE: Don't act like a regular member and post 99% of your posts in Spam. You'll have to focus on earning respect first before popularity. Business before relationships apply for handling mischievous children who like to spam for fun. Although some people might not like you telling them to not spam, it is your forum. You run the forum, not them. Once they respect you, any tension between you and them in the future won't be as hard to deal with. And trust me, you will get people like that who enjoy being rude, it's part of every forum. Lots of it is common sense really. People follow their leaders by example. You are administrator. Therefore, you are the leader.

Make an animation somewhere in your header. SGW had a cute animation imo, with random headlines like, "{SGW}, Ruler of the World." that would scroll horizontally across the header part of the forums. hohoho

Easy links to important things like rules and faqs. You want to make sure that people actually read what you write, like rules, And the best way, is to make it mandatory. Such as posting an introduction for yourself. So many people join and don't introduce themselves, for whatever reason. HTM for example, it had 7000 people, and probably only a few hundred active members, which is a small percentage. And that's only normal for a forum. It's just that you can alleviate that a bit.

Have a theme for your site. Something memorable for members to remember it by. SGW was all about modding Halo Trial, and being the sister site of HTM, rose as the greatest and largest Halo Trial modding site that there ever was. But unfortunately, all things come to an end, whether by likable or unlikable conditions. SGW and HTM was the latter. >.>

People like to be recognized. Grant requests for people to lead their own subforums, if you believe they are fit. For example, if a person is a great member here, is a good example to other members, and love and is great at Halo, invite them to lead the Halo forums. Members will love you for that. SGW, being a modding site, I would publicly thank members for being great members and modders, and would sometimes offer them to lead their own subforums or an existing one, and generally as a result, make them appreciated for spending their time at the forums. But don't flatter. Be honest about it.

Hold competitions and tournaments for stuff. Like, being the best racer on PR2, reward them some bonus points. Get creative, and don't let members feel that being on a forum is routine and boring.

That's all I can think of for now. I might add on to this list for specific parts of this forum that I haven't explored yet.

good points
Back to top Go down
Patric20878
Watcher
Watcher

Very Nice So Far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Very Nice So Far   Very Nice So Far EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:43 am

Oh, by the way, I just read the PM sent to all new members. Badges, and points rewarded for them. MAJOR KUDOS.

I love getting badges.

I love getting badges so much that I have every single badge on Kongregate, and as a result, some people like calling me an Alpha Hacker. XD

Creative.
Back to top Go down
Shooter PK411
Admin
Admin
Shooter PK411

Very Nice So Far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Very Nice So Far   Very Nice So Far EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:43 am

Patric20878 wrote:

As PM'd to you:

Very useful.
I'll keep it in my mind.
Back to top Go down
https://pk-v.forumotion.com
jkl
jkl

Very Nice So Far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Very Nice So Far   Very Nice So Far EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:44 am

Patric20878 wrote:
Oh, by the way, I just read the PM sent to all new members. Badges, and points rewarded for them. MAJOR KUDOS.

I love getting badges.

I love getting badges so much that I have every single badge on Kongregate, and as a result, some people like calling me an Alpha Hacker. XD

Creative.

You are going to go over load when you get all of them and he creates another.
Back to top Go down
Patric20878
Watcher
Watcher

Very Nice So Far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Very Nice So Far   Very Nice So Far EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:57 am

^Yeah right.

I have all badges (over 800) on Kongregate. A few more badges can't intimidate Patric20878. Smile

By the way, PK, when you make badges, try not to make those that might encourage spamming. Like, badges are cool and all, but if you made a badge, like for example, "Have 100 posts in each subforum", quality of posts might deteriorate a lot. Those who for example have no knowledge of GFX, might post semi-useful posts in a forum they usually won't touch, just to get the badge. Don't want that.

I never had badges in my forums besides post count, become a moderator, and become an admin (totally meant to be funny), and maybe some others. Just stuff that members would naturally get if they were good members, not any that would make them go out of their way to get. And they weren't really official, I just took notice and gave some points out and had the forum auto-promote their rank when they did. Side note: Having a badge to become an admin, though it is meant to be funny and unserious, I'm sure that some people might have acted better just to hopefully become admin. But for moderators, some very great members who I promoted sure did celebrate once they became moderator, because they were like, "I finally got the moderator badge and 500 SGW points! Very Happy"

Oh and, by promoting their rank, I mean like, private, corporal, sergeant, depending on their post count, etc.

By the way, more questions/suggestions:
Why is the message reputation bar, that red/green bar, why is it inconsistent? Like sometimes, I see that I can vote, sometimes not, sometimes there's not even a bar.

-Let members be able to see who's viewing the topic you're viewing at the bottom of the topic.

-When it states who posted last in a topic, besides having just the name and time, also say in what topic they posted in.

-Public warning bar. It's nice to know who follows rules and who doesn't. And it discourages breaking rules for those who like to keep a good reputation. Combined with reputation, which shows how helpful and kind you generally are, it gives a good preview as how good of a member you are on the site.

-Because reputation are given by members, you have to be very sure to monitor it so that people aren't abusing it or using it improperly. I read a topic, and (what's his name again?) got repped down 4 times. Fail. And I already got repped down once. hohoho
Back to top Go down
SparKzz
SparKzz

Very Nice So Far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Very Nice So Far   Very Nice So Far EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Yes I also love the points system, by tomorrow people will be to 100 post with a ton of points
Back to top Go down
GummiBear
GummiBear

Very Nice So Far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Very Nice So Far   Very Nice So Far EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 12:33 am

Umm being able to see who repped you like on jiggmin with thanks.
Back to top Go down
jkl
jkl

Very Nice So Far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Very Nice So Far   Very Nice So Far EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:18 am

GummiBear wrote:
Umm being able to see who repped you like on jiggmin with thanks.

yup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Very Nice So Far Empty
PostSubject: Re: Very Nice So Far   Very Nice So Far Empty

Back to top Go down

Very Nice So Far
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PK-village :: General :: Capital-
Jump to: